If you are injured in a car crash, how do you get fair compensation from a negligent driver if they have no insurance? The sad answer is generally you do not. What if the negligent driver only has $20,000 of coverage and you or a family member has life changing injuries? $20,000 would be just a “drop in the bucket,” and certainly not enough to fairly compensate your family. In Michigan you only have to have a minimum of $20,000 of liability coverage. Most other states require more. Unfortunately we see this situation more and more. People let their car insurance expire, or even cancel it, but continue driving. While this is actually a crime, it happens all the time. The good news is that most car insurance companies offer “uninsured” or “underinsured” motorist coverage. This allows you to buy insurance in case someone with no or very little liability insurance hurts you in a car crash. You are actually able to protect you and your family, at least financially, from irresponsible drivers with no or little insurance.

RingsmuthWuori PLLC highly recommends that everyone purchase this insurance. You can choose from different dollar amounts of coverage, but we suggest at least $500,000 of coverage. This amount of coverage is not expensive, and should cost less than $30. All of us know the tragedy that happens when the safety rules are violated. These tragedies become worse when the unsafe driver has no (or little) insurance to compensate the victim’s family for their loss. While you cannot make other drivers follow the safety rules, you can protect your family from the financial losses they cause. Please look at your car insurance coverage and be sure you have enough “un/under” insurance coverage. If not, call your insurance agent or get online if that is the way you buy your insurance. While you may never need it, the cost is well worth it if you do.

Leave a Reply

Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.