CARBON MONOXIDE DANGERS

As the winter season begins, inevitably the risk of carbon monoxide exposure and poisoning increases. Furnaces are turned on, heaters are used, and snowfall can pile up and cause airflow blockages that can lead to carbon monoxide dangers. Inside homes and businesses, carbon monoxide may occur because of a back-drafting heating appliance, stoves, heaters, a faulty chimney, a faulty or unmaintained furnace, or blocked air flow/vents, among many others. Carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless gas and can be deadly. It forms during the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels containing carbon. Exposure to carbon monoxide can inhibit the transport of oxygen to the blood and cause serious health problems and lead to death. Thus, the use of the carbon monoxide detectors is critical. The maintenance and checking of these detectors is equally important. 

Recently, the firm has resolved several cases involving carbon monoxide exposure at hotels in the swimming pool areas, causing damage to multiple people. 

Upon investigation in all of the cases were dangers and defects from, among other problems, a rusted vent pipe that caused carbon monoxide not to be vented outside properly and a blocked air intake and unmaintained heaters. Even in residential homes, fireplaces and attic fans can create back drafts and prevent the proper air exchange/venting of carbon monoxide into the home. 

Below are links to some government links addressing carbon monoxide dangers and safe practices to address carbon monoxide protection:

NFPA – Carbon Monoxide safety tips

Protect Your Family from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning 

Carbon Monoxide Safety Facts and Tips – How to prevent poisoning from a gas with no odor.

Safety Tips | Safe Kids Worldwide

Top 10 Tips on Carbon Monoxide Safety | Quantum Group Inc.

 


Leave a Reply

Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.


Categories